Infant Adoption Resources
BOOKS & MAGAZINES
- Adoptive Families Magazine - this is an award winning national adoption magazine. It is packed full of the latest adoption news and stories. We have enjoyed reading it since 2006.
- Adoption: Choosing It, Living It, Loving It; Straight Answers to Heartfelt Questionsby Dr.Ray Guarendi. This is a great book about adoption from someone who has dealt with infertility and went on to adopt 10 kids!
- Adoption: Your Step By Step Guideby Mardie Caldwell, the founder of Lifetime Adoption. This book offers practical, easy to follow guidelines to help you on your adoption journey.
- Your Sacred Adoption: A Guided Journal of Life, Love and Memories This is an excellent adoption journal that you can fill out during your adoption process.
- Secret Thoughts of An Adoptive Mother by Jana Wolff. This is a great book describing the emotions felt during and after the adoption process.
- You CAN Adopt Without Debt: Creative Ways to Cover the Cost of Adoption by Julie Gumm. She has been featured on The Dave Ramsey Show with her book that will help you fund your adoption with a bunch of creative ideas.
- Tell Me Again About The Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis. This is a great story about adoption and the importance of a loving family.
- Adoption Nation by Adam Pertman. This book is a must read for adoptive families about the past, present, and future of adoption.
- The Eye of Adoption by Jody Dyer. In my opinion, EVERY hopeful adoptive parent should read this. It is Jody’s story about how she and her husband adopted a newborn in an open adoption. Click here to listen to the interview I did with Jody about her story and book.
- ABC, Adoption & ME by Gayle Swift. This is a awesome children’s adoption book. It is so unique because is uses every letter in the alphabet to talk about lots of adoption topics. Click here to read my review of the book.
- From Pain to Parenthood: A Journey Through Miscarriage to Adoption by Deanna Kahler. This book is all about her journey to building their family through domestic infant adoption. As you read this book, you’ll follow Deanna as she tells her incredible story of going through painful miscarriages to get to the joy of parenting through adoption. Click here to listen to the interview I did with Deanna about her story and book.
- How to Create a Successful Adoption Portfolio by Madeleine Melcher. This is a step-by-step guide to creating a portfolio that will reflect your personality, make a strong positive impact and encourage the right birth family to choose you. Click here to listen to the interview I did with Madeleine about her adoption story along with tips to create a successful profile.
ADOPTION HELP & RESOURCE SITES
- LifetimeAdoption.com - an adoption facilitator based out of California that we have personally used to adopt our daughter. Their christian mission is to bring birthmothers and adoptive families together.
- HelpUsAdopt.org - this is a non-profit financial assistance grant program providing qualified couples with grants of up to $15,000 towards their adoption expenses.
- American Academy of Adoption Attorneys - The Academy is the largest and most accessible resource for finding an adoption attorney.
- Childwelfare.gov - this is the government website that answers adoption questions as they pertain to your state.
- AdoptionAgencyRatings.com - This is a site that provides ratings from adoptive families, birthmothers, etc.
- ICPC (Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children). These are the rules that make sure children are properly placed when adoption occurs between states (eg. the baby is born in a different state than where you live.)
- Pear-now.org - Parents for Ethical Adoption Reform. Their mission is to provide resources and a voice for adoptive parents. They have a great PDF printable guide to researching U.S. adoption agencies.
- NACAC -North American Council on Adoptable Children – focuses on parent education and information sharing along with adoption support.
ADOPTION BLOGS & PROFILE SERVICES
- ParentProfiles.com - a unique environment created for birthmothers and hopeful adoptive parents to find each other, establish relationships, and create adoption situations that meet the needs of everyone.
- For The Love of Alex: A Birthmother’s Story - this is an awesome blog from a birthmother telling her story over several blog posts.
- HopingToAdopt.org - this is a FREE adoption profile listing service. You can also order adoption pass along cards and they can help set you up with a Facebook page.
- MomAtLast.com - a place to share your journey to motherhood and to meet others who are on their journey.
- Adoptive Family Circle - This is one of the best adoption forums on the web. A lot of support and good information from people that are going through the same process as you.
- Adoption Voices - An adoption social network/forum with options to tweet, read adoption news, and more.
Disclosure: Some of the above links are affiliate links, which means that if you click them and buy something I make a small commission — at no extra cost to you. This is just one way I’m able to keep this blog going. So if you enjoy the blog and were going to buy this stuff anyway, this is a great way to show your support. And don’t forget: I only recommend products and services that I use and love.